Publius Forum

Friday, July 23, 2010

We Rescued 'Speedy'

Hi, I know it's been a while since I've written my own thoughts, and that disturbs me. I wish I didn't get so many emails, but I would be sad if I didn't. Go figure.

Our neighbor moved and asked us to be responsible for his cat, Speedy. Like the softy I am, I opened up my big and said okay. Then we thought about it. We already have other rescued kitties, so we asked him if he could take Speedy to a relative or a friend.

After he left the apartment for good, we went to check because no one told us anything. We couldn't find Speedy, so we thought he had taken him to his sister's house. Nope. He just left him here. For 2 whole weeks this poor guy did not have any food or water. I hate that.

When the exterminator came to clean the place, we finally got a glimpse of him! (We searched that whole empty apartment, and there was no place to hide that I did not check...except for one place, in a tine hole behind the refrigerator!).

Well, I told the exterminator at that point that he was not allowed to bomb that apartment because there was a live animal in there. This guy was a true jerk. After we found him and brought him home, this jerk refused to come back which was in his contract!

Anyway. I took him to the veterinarian today, and he has worms (just like I told the people who had him before us), gingivitis on his back gums, and they did some blood work. It came to over $300!!! My God, have I been missing something? It used to cost me no more than $100 dollars. And so the stimulus keeps ripping us off...but I didn't care. I paid it.

He is doing well now. I just fed him (again!), and he seems back to normal. He has to go back for one more worm pill and so the doctor can how he is progressing. He is about 3-4 years old, grey and black with big, thick lines. Not the kind you see on a tabby, these are so beautiful.

I am fortunate in a way. I have been visiting him since he was a baby. I would knock on my neighbor's door and ask if Speedy was home. I also asked if he could play. This helped in the transition, because there were so many people coming in and out of that place. He had to hide most of the time. Except when I came over. He would always come to me.

So why didn't he come to me when we were searching for him? I believe he was afraid out of his wits. I found him by moving the refrigerator (NOT an easy task) and found him stuck between the kitchen sink and cabinets. He was so thin. He hadn't eaten or drank anything for 2 whole weeks at least.

I immediately scooped him up in my arms and sat with him. I wanted him to feel safe. I wanted him to remember me. I sang softly to him. He remembered. He looked up at me and then into my eyes. I 'meowed' to me that everything was going to be alright now, and we brought him home.

He now lives here, and no one is going to change that. He is my cat now. After you abandon an animal, it's mine. So for all of you creeps out there, do NOT leave your animal alone for over 4 days. If I find it, I will also find a good home for it. I'm sick of these people claiming to care and they believe it's alright to murder a child without due process and just leave an animal anywhere, anytime they are inconvenienced. DO YOU THINK I AM NOT?

I gave up new clothes 23 years ago when we got Gracie, our first cat. She is in Heaven now, but she brought us much joy. I held her in my arms as she took her last breath, and we were alone...sort of. God was with us. He saw. He knew. That's the only Glory worth having.

OMG, Speedy wants my attention, so I'm afraid I have to end this. He is doing very well! Thank you to all who understand, go away to those who don't. We only so much time on earth, and I don't want to waste it on you.

Have a great weekend everyone, and God bless!

May you walk with the LORD always, and when you cannot take another step, may He carry you the rest of the way until you can walk along side Him again. Digg! Digg!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful of others, so they may be respectful to you. Have a blessed day.