Publius Forum

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Founders' Daily Quote: 28 Aug 08

"All good men wish the entire abolition of slavery, as soon as it can take place with safety to the public, and for the lasting good of the present wretched race of slaves. The only possible step that could be taken towards it by the convention was to fix a period after which they should not be imported."

--Oliver Ellsworth (The Landholder, 10 December 1787); Reference: The Records of the Federal Convention of 1787, Farrand, ed., vol. 3 (165)

Bastard.

Update: Lobo has reminded me that I need more clarity than just one word thoughts left in my head! The reason I called this decision a 'bastard' is because when something is wrong it is wrong. You don't wait decades until there is war over it to settle it. I also did not appreciate the way he referred to my brothers and sisters as 'wretched race of slaves'. Wretched? How do he! I understand that this was a different time, but it leaves me shaken. I have epilepsy. Before, they used to put people with epilepsy in mental hospitals for life. I could not bear the thought!

I know little was known about the disease, but come on! I'm still a human being. What kind of equal right did I have to protest back then? What kind of due process when the judges were just fine with my imprisonment?

I guess maybe it is a little (lot!) too personal for me. When something is wrong, you must stand against it. When something is right, you must stand for it. Otherwise, someone else will determine your outcome. What kind of Liberty is that?

Cross-posted @ Rosemary's News and Ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful of others, so they may be respectful to you. Have a blessed day.